All design projects need a beginning, I came up with this easy method of organizing color while working on a home project. All you need are a few simple materials to create a personalized collection of color like the one that you see above.
1) Shelter magazines to cut clippings from
2) Glue stick
3) Color chips or colored paper
4) Cardboard backing for the display
I start by tearing inspirational photos from shelter magazines, I usually choose one interior and one inspirational photo that work side by side.
Then I pull elements from each photo and start matching colors to them. Here’s the breakdown from the photo above:
1) Grey from the chalkboard on the right and from the sidewalk on the left.
2) Green from the foliage of the plants in the basket on the left.
3) Rosy neutral from the main office wall on the right.
4) Brown from the wood elements in each photo: basket left and desk right.
5) Glue it all down in an artistic way that suits your taste.
6) The last thing I do is give the theme a name, these are theme boards after all.
You can use this winning formula over and over and achieve positive results every time! Here are a few more visuals:
French Home and Garden
You can take these with you to the paint store or anywhere else that you need personalized color inspiration.
*remember to keep the size down to one that is easy to carry, I usually make mine the size of standard letter size paper.
3 years of int design school and this seems like the simplist way to do select a colour scheme – brilliant thanks!
Yes, It took me many years after design school to come up with this one! Glad I could inspire.